Thursday, November 18, 2010

My New Organisation and Role for the Next Two Years

I will be working with a local HIV/AIDS focused NGO in Livingstone, Zambia for the next two year. My role is Program Manager and Fundraiser or in NGO terms, Resource Mobilisation. I am learning fast that NGOs speak their own language, a little like banks really, with a million different acronyms to remember.
   
 

The front of our building


My organisation is quite interesting, made up of 7 faith based organisations (4 Christian, the Islamic Council of Zambia, the Baha’i and Hindu communities in Zambia). I’m not especially religious, however I do appreciate the uniqueness of our structure in that it is able to bring together such diverse faiths and beliefs for the greater good of the Zambian people.


Our office building


My desk- Where I spend my days


I’m still learning a lot about what we do, but some of the key programs in progress at the moment include the establishment of “Self Help Groups”, the basis of microfinance for women; Income Generation Activities which have provided training in tailoring for a number of local women and brought in a contract to make school uniforms for some of the local schools; Youth education on HIV/AIDS; and material support for community based schools with Orphans and Vulnerable Children.

The team

 
Income Generation Activities in action
  

There are 6 members of my organisation. There is another volunteer from Japan whose focus is Income Generation Activities; the Regional Manager, two Program Support Officers and the Office Assistant.
It’s still early days and I’m still working out what I should be doing. Included in my Placement Agreement (yes, I have KRAs here too!) is a Fundraising Strategy, Donor Mapping, Capacity plan for ZINGO and lots of involvement in programs and site visits.


My first planning workshop

Results of the workshop- Plenty to work with!
  
I have run my first workshop with the team here and was very impressed by the work done to date and the vision they have.
Now, where to start??



2 comments:

  1. Looking good Loz, let me know if you need more post its!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing more about your work. Sounds like you've been tasked with some challenging tasks.

    ReplyDelete